Thursday, April 19, 2012

Lot's to report!

I have one the biggest changes happening! Back in January-actually on my birthday I accepted a nurse practitioner position at Sister Kenny Rehab Institute at Abbott Northwestern. I am to start on Monday! This is both exciting and scary at the same time! I have been at Gillette for the past 10 years and I had always thought it was going to be a place that I stay, however after a lot of hard thought I know SKRI will allow me to continue to work with a population that serves people with disability and allow me to maximize my professional growth. Gillette will always hold a special place in my heart, but I know that this is the right move for me! I will be working with a group of nurse practitioners and physicians (all that seem AWESOME) focusing on Oncology rehabilitation. I'm super excited!

Next.............What is going on with my training
Over the past three (yes, I said 3 weeks) I have had to back off from the running significantly. I have a spot on my lower left leg that has been extremely painful and has me worried that I may have another stress fracture. So bummed! I ended up skipping out on my 50 miler in Zumbro last weekend, which was a really hard decision! I haven't ever taken myself out of a big race like this in the past but I know if I had pushed it there was a good chance it will would have taken me out for the remainder of my season. I feel that pain and swelling have gotten better but its not 100%. I did head down to Zumbro to cheer my training peeps on and MAN it was an exciting weekend, which has gotten me even more pumped to run!!!!!!!!

I plan to race trail mix relay this weekend, which is a short 7 mile loop. I have been resting, stretching, icing, ibuprofening, rolling, and doing rehab exercises to try to speed the recovery. I just ordered some skin supports that I am hopeful will help as well. The one thing that I have learned through this recovery period is that I HATE the cross-trainer!

Until next time!

No comments: