Monday, October 5, 2009

Last Race of the Season







This last Friday, I had another physical therapy session with Pete to check things over and get me all loosened up for the run on Sunday. I was feeling pretty good and most of the soreness had gone away. I still however was a bit nervous that I hadn't ran for a week and a half due to this tibial tendonitis thing. I was a little more relieved after the PT session since there was great improvement in my range since when I had started PT-it also helped that Pete gave me the okay to do the marathon.

Following my PT session, I made my way down to the Xcel Energy center for the TCM expo to pick up my race packet, buy a few things, and then work the Lifetime Fitness booth for a couple of hours. I got a chance to pass out several samples of Aquaphor (I think probably around 150) killing two birds with one stone (fulfilling my duties as an Endurance Lead and sponsorship). The Aquaphor was a big hit at the Lifetime Fitness booth! I ran into some of TCMC folks including Jen who opted not to run TCM but instead headed to Iowa for her homecoming at Luther (can you believe it)!

Saturday morning came way to early with a 5:00 wake up so that I would be ready for when Leann picked me up to head down to the Saturday TCM events. It is tradition that we as a team from Lifetime Fitness go down and cheer the runners of the Saturday TCM events on and then head to the expo. It was fun to see Jen J., Jen, Aaron, Ruth, and Aasa's kids run the events-they kicked butt as they always do! After the events we made our way to the Rivercenter to hit the expo, so we could pick up race packets and spend money! Cindy and I bought our race outfits-I know-I know we are not suppose to try anything new raceday, but I typically don't follow that rule. After the expo, Cindy, Leann, and I headed over to Cosetta's to get all carbed up for Sunday's race. We ended up running into Jason and Katie at Cosetta's which was great since we needed to get our plans in order for race day. The rest of the night I took it easy.

Sunday (Race morning) I had another early start with my alarm set for 3:45 so that I could get my race ritual done in time to make the shuttle bus from the Kelly Inn located in St. Paul. I arrived early to the dome, which has been my normal routine for the past 10 Twin Cities Marathons. Once I arrived to the dome I did take a moment to look down at the baseball field since it was set up for the Twins and it was one of their last games on the dome. Cindy and one of her co-workers met up with me shortly after I arrived to the dome. At about 7:45 Cindy, Jason, Leann, Meaghan, and Lisa made our way out to the start. Cindy and my plan was to take the marathon easy and have fun-we intended on doing 5 and 1's since neither of us was going for a time. We started off and goofed around a bit-Jason and Cindy started in with the comments that they thought they were running a 10k and that I lied to them; it got everyone laughing around us. I felt pretty good up until mile 9 when I started to feel pain in ankle-Cindy later told me that she could tell that the pain was starting to set since my tone changed. As I continued to run and the miles continued to peel away, the pain in my ankle increased but I tried to keep it a secret so Cindy didn't tell me to drop out. I did however gain small bursts of energy each time I saw someone along the course cheering me along. At about mile 23, Cindy's knee popped sending her to the ground for some stretching. At that point both of us were hurting but we were determined to continue on. We finally hit mile 25 (Owen's mile)-I have the rule that there is NO WALKING during Owen's mile-Cindy was a trooper and pushed through the mile with me. Once we turned the last corner and we on our way down the hill towards the capitol and the finish line we picked up the pace as we had a million people to pull us in! Waiting at the finish line was my friend the swim official (he used to officiate my swim meets when I coached for Sibley)-We had a short conversation and then Cindy and I were off to get our medal and finisher shirt.

Following the race it is tradition to head to Plums for nachos and a beer. Cindy, Mark, Leann, Terry and Carla joined my parents and I at Plums to celebrate and cheer on the Twins.

Bright and early Monday morning, I met with Pete my PT at Tria. He asked how the race went and then how my ankle held up. I don't think he was too thrilled with me once he took a look at my ankle-it was significantly tight and swollen. I know he was thinking why didn't I drop out but he didn't say it. Pete rubbed out my ankle a bit and then ordered me to not run for a while. I do have the okay to bike, swim, and lift weights.

No comments: