Monday, June 15, 2009

Liberty 1/2 Ironman Race Report



I raced Liberty 1/2 Ironman this weekend this was my second half ironman (second time I did this race). As you read on my previous blog post I got Moon Goddess (my bike) all dressed up in her best attire for her 2009 debut race. Friday, I took Moon Goddess for a short 20 minute practice run so that I could test the shifting and make sure nothing was rubbing. I then picked up a few last minute things at Grand Performance before trudging through the swamp of Turtle Lake with Cindy. Cindy and I met for a short (approximately 1/2 mile) lake swim. The lake was extremely weedy and mushy! We didn't want to spend a lot of time out in the lake being there was a lot of boat traffic and our upcoming race the next day.

After the swim we did a quick clothes change in the parking lot before heading over to pick up my race packet. I ran into a few other P2ers at packet pickup. We then met up with Jen for a pre-race pasta dinner at Macaroni Grill. During dinner Cindy and I played a little joke on Jen-a man came up to our table and asked us if he could sing a song to us and Cindy said sure. The man asked us what song he should sing and the only song that popped into my head was happy birthday. He asked who's birthday it was and we said it was Jen's so the man sang her some opera song in Italian-it was so loud (I thought Jen was going to kill us!).

I spent the rest of the night getting everything put together for the race in the morning. I didn't get much sleep which is pretty common for me.

Race Morning:
I got my car packed up and headed over to Baker Park. I attempted to shove some oatmeal down my throat without much luck-only got a couple bites in. Once I arrived, I got my gear all set up in the transition area and before I knew it was time to head down to the beach for the pre-race meeting. I never had time for a warm-up I spent too much time gabbing with all my tri friends.

The swim was tough for me! The swim started with me between two women that practically were beating me to death! I ended up pulling back so they could be on their way. I had some problems sighting on the swim since my goggles had fogged up. Once I hit the turn around the sun was in our eyes-I really couldn't see a darn thing! I would look for splashing and swim toward that and before I knew I was literally on top of the person-this happened 3-4 times! I felt all over the place on the swim! By the time I got to an area that I could reach the bottom I was so disoriented and nausea!

I ran out to the transition area as I struggled with my zipper on my wetsuit again! I got through the transition area trying to remember all the stuff that coach taught us over the past couple of weeks at practice.

I got out on my bike started off saw Jen and wished her good luck and told her to kick some butt. She ended up passing me about a block later! The bike was hard for me too! I had a hard time catching my groove. I worked on trying to shove some supplements in my mouth hoping that they would help me feel a bit better and give me some energy. I swore everyone and their grandma passed me on the bike!

Once I reached the transition area, I quickly changed out my shoes and I was off on my run.

I started my run and my leg felt actually decent. I was wiped and really needed some energy/electrolytes. I made it to the first water stop and was surprised by the fact that they didn't stock the water stops with enduralytes (like they had last year and they advertised this year). Being I was still feeling nausea, I couldn't stomach hammer gels or drink-I was left with water (not good on a warm day and already feeling depleted); I managed to keep a steady pace despite. I ended up passing Jen about mile 6, I wished her good luck and kept going (I knew that if I stopped I was not going to finish). I made it to mile 9 before having a complete mental breakdown! The water stop had run out of water, I was feeling nausea, and I didn't have any energy! I re-grouped my thoughts and kept going. I made it to the next water stop and I was LOOPY! I had asked for a coke and a water-then went over to the table and started to peruse the to see what else was there. I took ONE animal cracker and realized that the volunteered was looking at me with some concern, so I took off! I kept going seeing a few people along the way that I knew which was great! Coach was waiting for me with a little less than a mile left to go. I came into the finish strong-I don't know how but I did!

I ended up with a finish time of 5:44 (a PR by almost 10 minutes!)