Sunday, June 15, 2008

I'm almost an Ironman!


Thursday was suppose to be a rest day for me-I couldn't do it! I ended up doing an easy run at the Coon Rapids Dam. Total run was 5.1 miles.

Friday, I finally got to try my new wheels out! I just took my bike out for a very short 3.5 mile ride. It was extremely windy, which in a way was a nice way to quickly get used to how the bike is going to feel in the wind. I spend the rest of the day trying to get everything ready for the big race on Saturday.

RACE DAY! Saturday, I conquered my first 1/2 ironman! Not ever completing an open water swim of 1.2 miles, I wasn't sure on what to expect. The water was pretty calm for most of the swim, however very cold! I wore my wetsuit for the third time ever, which helped with the warmth issue-my feet were frozen! Shortly during the swim I had passed most of everyone in my heat (you can tell by cap color) and met up with the men. On the way back during the swim it was really hard to sight as the bouys blended into the water and were not very big-that made it hard to keep a consistent stroke. When I finished my swim, I got stuck in my wetsuit and a volunteer had to undo my zipper. My total swim time was 35:58-making me the 3rd female.

Then onto the bike. I actually was looking forward to the bike portion because I had practiced the route often prior to racing. Shortly, into the first loop, I could hear rubbing-I had to get off my bike twice and I couldn't figure it out. Finally, I realized that it was my shoe rubbing the bike-not a big deal and an easy fix! I took the first loop on the slower side-I was having trouble finding a comfortable cadence. I probably need to do more swim to bike bricks to better figure this out. I finally got into my groove about half way through the first loop. The bike course is pretty senic and hilly! When we got to the second loop of the course the wind had picked up tremedously! The second loop was really hard with all the wind! There was a straight head wind for the last 4 miles back. Although with the wind, I finish the bike portion pretty close to my goal time of 3 hours-finish time was 3 hours and 7 minutes.

Last, the run portion. I didn't know how I would feel doing a 13.1 mile run following all the other stuff. I felt my run went well. The course was really hilly and of course windy in parts. The sun had come out heating things up quite a bit. I actually felt really good on the run. My legs didn't feel beaten up or crampy from the bike portion like they have in past triathlons. I carried a pace of just over 9 minute miles finishing the half marathon portion in 2 hours and 5 minutes.

My finish time was five hours 53 minutes-I had surpast my goal of finishing between 6 and 6:30. I was really happy with my time blisters and all! Most importantly we were all still smiling at the end!

2 comments:

jenrehling said...

AWESOME job Noelle! You did so good at the race. Am glad you were there with me, made the day that much more fun (at least as fun as a 6+ hour race can be!)

Noelle said...

Thanks Jen! You also did an awesome job! What an accomplishment!